Sunday, April 1, 2012

Saturday Mirror Project

On weekends I have projects.  Sometimes they result in something being thrown across the garage other times they end with celebration chocolate.  Today's ended with a hurt finger & taco night.

THE DIY MIRROR IMPROVEMENT

So there is this mirror that I had put in my closet, and it was so oh-hum BORING.  But it served a purpose.  Well ever since I found this granny chic shelf liner at my local TJ Maxx store (don't judge, my closet is stuck in beige-ville and I'm too lazy to paint that monster.) I've been working on giving my closet the extra flair it needed.  So this weekend, I decided to tackle the mirror.  You know the kind of mirror I'm talking about.  Yep, that's him right there, beige & boring.  So I took measurements and took myself to Lowes.






First I cut the trim using a miter box at a 45 degree angle with the measurements I had taken.
After that I primed the cut pieces Zinsser Spray Primer.




 I then applied liquid nails to the back of the cut trim.  I clamped each piece to the mirror .








After about 5-10 minutes of dry time, I filled the gaps of the corners with Spackle.  I used what I had on hand which was probably the cheapest dry-wall Spackle you can find out there.  I then re-clamped all the corners.



After another 5 minutes or so, I used a clear caulk in between the seams of the original mirror and the new trim.  Make sure the caulk that you use is paint-able. The one here goes on white so you can see it, then dries clear.


You have to wait about 2 hours for the caulk to dry all the way through.  At this point, I did some laundry.

***PROCESSING***

 Now look at that handsome devil! I spray painted the new frame Valspar Gold Abundance.  I used Mandy's glaze technique found here.  The difference, I used Martha Stewart specialty glaze in Black Coffee.  The closet revamp looks that much more complete. 

For reference I recommend Lowe's for unfinished wood trim, Home Depot had a lousy selection.  That completes this weekends project.  Bis dann!

-S-





No comments:

Post a Comment